Österby harbour jetty and fire station
The granite harbour jetty was established by local farm labourers at the beginning of the 20th century as protection against strong winds. The jetty was 265 m long when first built and ca 215 m of it is still there today.
Österby beach is one of the most popular swimming spots in summer and it's also suitable for kitesurfing. The seaside offers beautiful views of the skyline of Haapsalu, and the islands of Hobulaid and Vormsi can also be seen. A 3.5 km ice road leads from Österby harbour to Haapsalu in winter. A fire station, which was built in 1930 and restored in 1998, is located in the village of Österby. The sites are marked with QR codes.
Buildings and park of Pürksi manor
The manor house is located in the village of Pürksi, which is also the municipality centre, and was built in the 19th century. The manor belonged to the Ungern-Sternberg family until 1919. The Pürksi Agricultural and Folk University operated in the building from 1920–1943. The main building was renovated from 1989–1995 and is now occupied by the Noarootsi Upper Secondary School. The nature information centre and crafts workshop operate in the
other buildings of the manor. The buildings are listed. Pürksi park is protected. The protected hornbeam and a unique circle of lime trees grow in the park.
Ramsi peninsula in the village of Einbi is well known for its rich plant life. The tip of the cape is the westernmost point of mainland Estonia. Ramsi peninsula offers magnificent views of the island of Vormsi and the Voosi strait that separates the island from the mainland.
Telise marker towers
Telise marker towers are unique in Estonia. The first wooden towers were erected on the Telisna cape in 1860 to guarantee ships a safe passage to Haapsalu. The marker towers are built from local materials and they play an important role in our cultural history. Nowadays the towers have lost their importance in navigation and since 2004 they are in private ownership.
Lyckholm muuseum and Saare manor
The buildings of Saare manor were built in the 18th and 19th centuries. Lyckholm museum is located in the former horse stables restored by Baron Gustav von Rosen from ruins in 1995–96. You can get an overview of the history of Noarootsi in Lyckholm, where the main emphasis is on the Republic of Estonia from 1918–40. Exhibits include household items and the tools that were used for farm wok in those days, and that emphasise the good agricultural
cooperation between the Estonians, Swedes, Germans and Finns who lived in Lyckholm.
Saare study trail of the State Forest Management Centre
The study trails is equipped with a viewing platform and viewing tower. You can observe the activities of thousands of aquatic birds in the springtime and you will find information about the values of the Silma Nature Reserve on the information boards. Please read the rules of the nature reserve before you visit the reserve.
Noarootsi church, Freedom Monument, parsonage
The St Catherine's Lutheran Church in Noarootsi was probably built around 1500, and important reconstruction works were carried out in both the 18th and 19th centuries. The organ was renovated in 1991. The parsonage was built in the 17th century and is one of the oldest preserved wooden buildings in Lääne County. The parsonage houses a permanent exhibition of the surveying of the old farm buildings of Noarootsi villages. The Noarootsi Freedom Monument to is located in the church garden. It was erected in 1935, destroyed during the Soviet time and restored in 1990. The entire complex is listed.
The windmill is located in the centre of Sutlepa village. It was built in 2003 on the basis of the drawings of the historical Noarootsi wooden windmill. There were ca 100 windmills in Noarootsi Parish in the beginning of the 19th century, but none have preserved until today. There is a car park and a large map of the municipality by the windmill.
Rooslepa chapel and cemetery
The chapel is located in the Rooslepa cemetery by the Tuksi-Spitham road. It was one of the three auxiliary churches of the Noarootsi congregation of the Estonian Evangelical Lutheran
Church that was built in the 1830s. The building started falling into disrepair at the end of the 1970s. Its walls were conserved art the beginning of the 1990s. The chapel was restored in 2006, largely in its former shape.
Põõsaspea cape is the most northwesterly cape in mainland Estonia. It is stony and it stretches far into the sea towards Osmussaar. Põõsaspea cape is one of the best places for watching aquatic birds in Northern Europe. The migratory route of aquatic birds Flying to and from the Arctic passes over the cape. There is a DC and information board in the rest area of the State Forest Management Centre on the tip of the cape.
Põõsaspea cape is located in the Nõva Landscape Protection Area. The sea that surrounds Osmussaar and borders on the coast is the Nõva-Osmussaare special conservation area. Please read the rules of the nature reserve before you visit the reserve.
Uuejõe valley and dunes
The mouth of Uuejõe river towards Nõva from Spitham is often filled with piles of sand by storms, which gives the river a ‘travelling' mouth. The protected European White Waterlily grows in Uuejõe river. The dunes, which are a couple of metres high and run along the coastline, are also interesting. The State Forest Management Centre has built a car park, campsite and bonfire site by the river. A boardwalk leads from the car park to the sea.
Lake Allikajärv or Tantsujärv
The lake is located near Peraküla village on the border of Noarootsi and Nõva municipalities. A cobblestone path, which was established before World War I, leads from Peraküla to lake Allikajärv. The lake is protected. Bonfire sites have been built by the lake.
The area of Osmussaar is ca 480 ha, it is 4.8 km long and 1.6 km wide, and its highest spot is 8 m. The island is located ca 7 km from Dirham harbour in the Osmussaar Landscape Protection Area. Osmussaar could have risen from the sea 3000 years ago. 130 people were living on the island before World War II, but they were all evacuated in 1940. Soviet armed forces were stationed on the island until 1992. The island has been inhabited again since
2001 and the family who live there raise sheep.
The sites of the island include the ruins of the stone chapel built in 1766 (conserved by today) and the lighthouse built in 1954 (the lighthouse, which was built in 1765, was destroyed in 1941).
The landscape is made unique by its cliffs, breccia boulders, natural expanses of scree and junipers. There is a 9 km marked hiking trail of by the State Forest Management Centre on the island, which is equipped with bonfire sites. Please read the rules of the nature reserve and the island before you visit the reserve.